Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Spread the Word

The Atlanta Young Writers Institute is a start-up venture intended to foster and encourage the aspirations of young writers. It's not brand spanking new, they held a summer session last year - catch the video below. It's also an educational institution where kids can attend workshops and intensives, interacting with professional writers, poets and other young creatives.

I'm happy to announce that I was asked to join their staff of contributors!

The AYWI focus is mainly on creative writing, so I'll be adding the voice (every other Monday morning) of a writer making it work in the world of freelance. I'll also be launching a monthly newsletter campaign for the organization, and I just know you all want to subscribe.

We're kicking content development into gear starting this coming week - features, critiques, words and writing prompts of the day. And, we're hoping to have guest contributors, so any writer out there who has interest in being a part of the project . . .

So, swing over to the recently posted AYWI post introducing the new Web writing team, leave a note, help me spread the word. Teacher friends (I know a bunch of you guys) . . . share this with your students.

I think it's a noble and worthwhile project that could grow into something very inspirational for a lot of youth writers. And trust me, knowing you're destined to forge your way using creativity is a tough pill to swallow when you're young. I tried to make myself believe I would be an ophthalmologist for the longest time. Science and medical studies? Psshhh. English degree by way of art school. We all have roles to fill I suppose, and I'm thankful and excited this has become one my mine. 

So, here's the video from last summer's intensive. You can also catch it on the AYWI website. Thanks for stopping by and . . . help me spread the word!


No comments:

Post a Comment